I think we have a catch-22 here. You need an OCLC developer license to
use WC to "discover" WC URIs using an application; you need WC URIs (or
other URIs that are not very diffuse on the Web) to make use of the OCLC
linked data. The OCLC linked data is ODC-BY for anyone wishing to use
the data, but, if I'm not mistaken, the APIs are not publicly open to
the Web public. Thus the schema.org data is ODC-BY but most applications
on the web will have little opportunity to discover the OCLC-specific
URIs. So the gatekeeper is the API access, that is, the ability to
search WC for URI discovery (e.g. with an author's name). So you can
link, but you can't easily discover the linking URIs.

I suppose that one could discover publications as linked data using the
topical access of LCSH, the VIAF links in Wikipedia, or by going through
databases like Open Library, which has some OCLC numbers associated with
bibliographic data. All of these are accessible via open APIs, I
believe, and are linked DBPedia. I understand that "linking is linking"
but unless we are developing data for SkyNet, somewhere along the way
the user needs to begin with a human-understandable query. Searching and
linked data are not in conflict with each other, they give each other
mutual support. It only makes sense that URIs will be discovered through
searching at some point in the process of access, as applications like
Wikipedia illustrate. (As does the Facebook API, which is a search.)

I've tried to find a clear statement of who can get access to the OCLC
APIs, but I'm afraid that I can't find a page that clarifies that. I
guess one is expected to apply for developer key in order to find out if
they qualify. I'll pass that information along.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net