On 7/10/12 2:10 PM, Roy Tennant wrote:
> Uh...what? For the given use case you would be much better off simply
> using the WorldCat Search API response. Using it only to retrieve an
> identifier and then going and scraping the Linked Data out of a
> WorldCat.org page is, at best, redundant.

I do not consider using "linked data" to be "scraping" by any meaning of
that term. Machine-actionable data is returned in formats like RDF/XML
or ttl or JSON. And I'm curious that linked data is somehow not
considered to be usable as "data" and that microformat data is not
considered to be searchable -- in fact, its raison d'etre is search
optimization.

> As Richard pointed out, some use cases -- like the one Karen provided
> -- are not really a good use case for linked data. It's a better use
> case for an API, which has been available for years.

But is it available to everyone, and is the data retrieved also usable
as ODC-BY by any member of the Web public?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net