On Jul 12, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Cary Gordon wrote:

> It is almost worth getting an iPad just to see all the clueless
> messages. Borrow one and try some restaurant sites. The restaurant
> business seems to have the absolute worst relationship between what
> they spend and the usefulness of what they get.
>
> I understand and respect your view, but still contend that regardless
> of the reason that someone is using IE 6, they have certainly had
> enough time to figure it out by now. The only way that IE6 users will
> have a good experience is if you build a site for them.

iPads are especially annoying because there are so many websites
that must've been re-written to support iPhones, but haven't
had any updates, so they insist on redirecting you to the 'mobile'
version of the website.

Which often, goes something like:

	http://xkcd.com/869/

I actually have fewer problems on my WebOS phone, as no one bothered
to write specifically for it.  (or be smart, and ask for the resolution
or window size, and deal with things that way ... or even use CSS sheet
with '@media handheld')

As for IE6, one of the many arguments against supporting is is that by
catering to people who are still using 12 year old web browsers, you're
keeping them from upgrading to a more secure browser.

Now, ideally, you don't make pages that are completely useless without
plugins and javascript and whatever turned on ... but we shouldn't be
forced to make it pretty for 'em.

And more scripting languages (javascript/ecmascript/whatever they want
to call it) that are intended to be used across platforms without knowing
what version it's going to be run from ... need to have some way of asking
'hey, do you support (x)', rather than all of the assumptions based on
the browser string (which in my case, is often a lie, specifically because
of those sites that make bad assumptions), and they may have no idea
what stuff I've specifically limited in my security preferences.

-Joe

(who complains every year when I have to re-take the annual security
training that won't work unless I (1) allow pop-ups, (2) allow plug-ins
and (3) allow java)