I don't think it's entirely black and white though.  It really depends
on the type of site and the community it serves.

What about innovative interfaces, visualizations, and apps that are
valuable resources, but simply not possible without modern browsers?
These are usually extended or experimental services and may have a
smaller user base.  I think it's perfectly reasonable in that case to
let people know that they need to upgrade to join the party.

In the case of traditional services, such as the catalog, I agree that
they should just work without disclaimers.

Right, I forgot about the dreaded restaurant sites with generic ambient
loops and PDF menus.  Come to think of it, that might be an iPad feature
to not display them! :)

-Shaun

On 7/12/12 3:44 PM, Aaron Collier wrote:
> I'd have to agree with this, as the one time I can recall putting this kind of message up we received complaints from faculty members.
>

> Aaron Collier
> Library Academic Systems Analyst
> California State University, Fresno - Henry Madden Library
> 559.278.2945
> http://www.csufresno.edu/library

>>> 8651 437 MSIE/8
>>> 7400 277 MSIE/9