Sean beat me to it, but just sharing the same opinion.

I think that people need to do extensive statistics gathering of their own user base. Trends show that IE is on the decline. One study I read recently showed that IE accounted for less than 1/3 of the total browser usage worldwide. And that mobile usage will soon surpass desktop usage for web access. Statistics like this are interesting, but are misleading. It could still be the case that 95% of your users access your site on IE6. So, general statisics about overall web trends, while important to be aware of, don't tell the story of your users.

My strategy has been to figure out how my users access my site, then design around those numbers. From a business value perspective, if less than 1% of my users are using IE 6, I might decide to "drop" support for IE. Or, better still, offer limited support. Have a good fallback strategy for users who may have css disabled, javascript disabled, be using a screenreader, or be on IE 6, 7, 8, 9, whatever. Design for your user base not for how you wish things were. :)

Culley