As an administrator of a Confluence installation, I have to say that I hate
it.

Confluence is fine if you are not going to be touching it or doing any kind
of local customizations (hooking it into local auth, etc.). If that's the
case, you should really be looking at the hosted version.

I've found that Atlassian is frustrating to deal with for support. I ran
into a bug in Confluence that has been an open ticket in their issue tracker
for 6 years. Years. I've found upgrades to be a pain, generally, and
sometimes Atlassian will be fast and furious with them and it's hard to keep
up. And the longer you wait, the more painful the upgrades become.

I don't deal with the money side of things, but I definitely think that we
do not get what we pay for with Confluence.

-Sean