Hi Nathan,

given the huge user base of MediaWiki, you would need very good
reasons (read: special requirements) to choose anything else. Also,
the large developer community makes Mediawiki a more future-proof
choice than anything commercial backed by a single company.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 04:34:27PM -0400, Nathan Tallman wrote:
> There are a plethora of options for wiki software. Does anyone have any
> recommendations for a platform that's easy-to-use and has a low-learning
> curve for users?

I think it is fair to say that everyone who uses the Internet also
uses Wikipedia, either passively or actively. Have you noticed that
search engines will usually return a link to a Wikipedia article on
the first page of results, no matter what you are looking for? Hence,
there will be no learning curve if you choose Mediawiki.

At my university, I run a small internal MediaWiki farm for purposes
like yours. My signature below links to two spare-time projects: These
are public MediaWiki installations I run elsewhere on a rented virtual
private server (Linux VPS). One is using the Semantic Mediawiki
extension to implement a database of text generation software systems
and related publications; the other serves as a lightweight Web
content management system (WCMS) for a special interest group of a
research association. I have found MediaWiki easy to use, install and
maintain, and so far I have always found a suitable free extension
whenever the included funcionality did not suffice. On the other hand,
if you need fine-grained access controls, then you do not want a wiki
but a full, traditional WCMS.

Cheers,
Christian

--