Can anyone on the list help clarify for me why, in an academic setting,
this kind of equipment and facility isn't part of a laboratory in an
academic department?

Don't get me wrong I am *way* into access to tools, but I remember when I
went to art school that the building had a shop in it.  The shop had a
woodshop, welders, metal lathes, etc.  And it belonged there, not in the
library- because it supported what that department was all about.

Are makerspaces in academic libraries examples of libraries picking up
slack that academic departments should be dealing with?

I ask this with zero snark, I genuinely want to hear some thoughts on
this...

Nate

--
Nate Hill