There have been two very fine answers already (Go Brooke and Jeff!)
but I'll add one more data point. The purpose of an academic library
(at least every academic library that I've been associated with) can
be boiled down to, pretty much, two things:

1. Support the curriculum of the school
2. Support the research of the faculty, students, and staff when it
extends beyond the curriculum

The second is necessary for the growth of the first. While Ross is
correct that eventually, whether implicit or explicit, some lines are
likely to be drawn (we are very interested in Maker culture and
spaces, we probably aren't going to be putting in CNC routers...just
because we don't have the environment). But whatever tools I can put
in front of the students and faculty that are available for _everyone_
and not siloed away in an engineering lab that you have to be part of
the grant team to use...well, that's good for my University. And the
tools are, frankly, way more interesting when they get used by
non-obvious groups...I can't wait to see what a History student might
do with a 3D printer, for instance.

Jason