I've been using Omeka for about a year now in my information
organisation and metadata classes. I have the students enter metadata
using the normal entry form, but also installed the GenericXMLImport
plugin and have them upload hand-created XML files to Omeka through
this plugin. I think it depends on what sort of XML work you want to
do in the class.

Omeka also has plugins for OAI-PMH (harvesting and acting as a
harvestable repository). I usually have students create OAI-PMH query
URLs by hand as well as through the provided form. I have also had
them run this through Yahoo Pipes since it has a simple XML parser.

I'm currently trying out a copy of a Koha Virtual Appliance
(http://kylehall.info/index.php/projects/koha/koha-virtual-appliance/)
to see if this will give students a chance to work with MARC records,
but I've only just started looking at this so I can't comment on its
usability for class yet. Blacklight sounds like an interesting
alternative though.

Margaret

--
Margaret E.I. Kipp, PhD