  Margaret Kipp writes

> I've been using Omeka for about a year now in my information
> organisation and metadata classes.

  So have I but mainly for classes on repository building. This is
  locally called the "building digital libraries" class, whatever that
  means ;-). The way I work with Omeka in the course is that I have a
  set of Perl scripts. They create a separate Omeka installation
  for each students. Separate installation meaning complete PHP code
  and separate databases for each student.  Students are free to
  install whatever modules and themes they wish. There is no
  interference with other students.

> I'm currently trying out a copy of a Koha Virtual Appliance
> (http://kylehall.info/index.php/projects/koha/koha-virtual-appliance/)

  If I were to do "teach the opac" I would give each student an
  installation of Koha. The Debian packaging of Koha allows me to
  build several instances of Joha on one set of perl scripts.  Each
  student just gets a separate mySQL database. Since a lot of things
  in Koha can be configured through the database---I am not aware of
  Koha themes and modules---it would be sufficient. Just run
  koha-create for each student.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1