  Cary Gordon writes

> I think that having each student use their own Koha instance is a
> great way to go.

  This is what I planned to do if I had to do the course again.
  In the past, I was less advanced, I just had a library branch
  for each student. It's because when I ran the class in 2010,
  the option to create several koha installation on one machine
  wan set available.

> Assuming that they all have computers with reasonable
> specs, they can use VirtualBox (free) to import the Koha .ova file.

  I'd rather have them use a single server I have root access to so I
  can find out when the shit has hit the fan as and when it does.

  I used to run this Koha on server space that I had arranged with the
  university, they hosted a box that I had root access to. Recently a
  new director declared that this was a rogue server and threw it out.

> The obvious caveat is that the teacher would presumably need to be
> conversant with Koha.

  The obvious reply is that, in theory, as an LIS prof these days you
  have to be very adaptable to technology changes, and you got to have
  the capability to roll out such technology, as I do with Omeka,
  Drupal, Koha. In practice, not a lot of technology is taught/used in
  the LIS curriculum. But that's a topic for another day. Margaret Kipp
  and I have talked about this a lot in the past.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel