On 6 August 2012 13:19, Ed Summers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 150 people responded about whether jobs.code4lib.org posting should
> come to the discussion list:
>
>     yes: 132
>     no: 10
>     who cares: 8
>
> 93% in support or agnostic seems to be a good indicator that the
> postings should continue to come to the list for now.

I'm not entirely convinced about that assessment. I quite readily
agree that the jobs should be posted to *a* mailing list, I'm not so
sure that it should be this mailing list.

It's been discussed about filtering the jobs sent to the list, but I
already filter the code4lib mailing list into a tag. It's been a bit
of a faff, but I've subdivided the filtering so that I can get the
messages sent from jobs@... to go to a different tag. But then Ed
replied to one, so now it appears in both tags, and because I'm using
Gmail, it takes the whole thread with it.

So filtering really isn't a solution.

Rather than just asking whether jobs should come to this mailing list,
maybe we can ask whether a separate mailing list should be set up,
specifically for jobs. The two mailing lists could be cross promoted
(e.g. a standard footer), and people can choose whether they want or
don't want to receive them. And we can still have
discussions/follow-ups about those jobs on that mailing list.

Even though the vast majority of the postings aren't applicable to me,
I would probably still sign up to a separate jobs mailing list as it
is of interest - but I would at least then be able to keep that
separate from the main discussions, which is something I can't
effectively do right now.