Ancestry.com (NASDAQ: ACOM) is the world's largest online resource for family
history. We have helped pioneer the market for online family history research,
taking a pursuit that was expensive and time-consuming and making it easy,
affordable and accessible to anyone with an interest in their family history.
The foundation of our service is an extensive collection of billions of
historical records that we have digitized, indexed and put online over the
past 15 years. These digital records and documents, combined with our
proprietary online search technologies, tools and collaboration features, have
enabled our 2.0 million subscribers to create nearly 38 million family trees
that contain nearly 4 billion profiles, make meaningful discoveries about the
lives of their ancestors.

With over 1,000 employees around the world, we are committed to hiring the
very best talent. We are known for our cutting-edge technology, phenomenal
innovation, and we offer a compelling and rewarding workplace where you will
thrive. We seek out passionate people to join our mission of helping people
discover, preserve and share their family history. We invite you to explore
and discover the many opportunities that await you at Ancestry.com.

Job Description:

We are looking for an experienced SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER who has worked with
Hadoop and large data sets and has a statistics/science background to join the
new DNA back-end engineering team in San Francisco.

Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:

  * This individual will be hands-on working on development tasks, which involve using various technologies, primarily Java, Perl, C/C++, Hadoop and HBase.
  * Interact with geneticists and other DNA stakeholders to collect domain-specific requirements. This individual is expected to be a key liaison between the software development team and the science team
  * Translate requirements into a high-performance system by using modern Java technologies, applying SOLID programing principles and working in Agile (Scrum) environment
  * Develop customizable workflow solutions to automate and manage DNA data analysis pipeline processes
  * Design and implement application and data storage schemes for operations such as querying, compression, and data transformation on large genomics data sets.
  * Build scalable parallel computing infrastructure tailored to in-house clusters or cloud resources
Required Skills:

  * Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent degree/experience)
  * Prior programming experience with Object-Oriented Languages (Java, C++)
  * Expertise in software development principles and processes, including object-oriented analysis, design and implementation. SOLID principles preferred
  * Proven track record building high-performance and scalable systems or platforms dealing with large data sets. (Experience with genomics LIMS solutions and/or electronic medical records is strongly preferred. Experience with large data sets in any scientific project a plus.)
  * Deep understanding of parallel computing architectures SIMD, SMP, GPGPUs, or MapReduce
  * Experience with Hadoop and HBase
  * Java Tools and the Java Runtime Environment, JBoss, Spring, Hibernate, etc.
  * Proficiency in SQL, database schema design and implementation (tables, queries, triggers, views, and stored procedures). Experience with MySQL Server a plus
  * Knowledge of scripting languages, including Perl and Python
  * Good communication skills that can deal with diverse types of people from Science, Marketing, and Testing groups
  * Training or experience with genomics, bioinformatics, and related algorithms and tools a plus
  * A self-starter willing to learn
  * Other Relevant Background/Exposure:
  * Knowledge of EHR and HIE.
  * Experience with algorithm development
  * Development in Linux and Windows environments
  * Experience of creating and using web services, SOAP and Restful
  * Knowledge about NoSQL and Hadoop
  * Knowledge about ETL design and tools
Working for Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy
environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of
technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families
and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-
paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You'll work with a team of
passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive
compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and
career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/2125/