I'm not the original poster, but I've run into this before in terms of
linking library holdings to digital versions. There are a few reasons I
can think of for doing this linking:

1) Your library is a selection of works that you think will best serve
your readers. The library catalog is not the only place they should
look, but it is a useful first place to look.
2) Other functions, like your courseware, link to your catalog;
discovering additional copies in this way is useful (of course, this
assumes they aren't running a service like Umlaut, right?)
3) if you don't have a good record of what was digitized from your
library, HathiTrust might be the best source of that

One of the big problems that I see with mass digitization and the access
to those items is the loss of the role of the library in
selection/collection building. I suppose if you are in a huge library
like Harvard the collection is so large that it almost approaches
"whatever." For smaller libraries, and with certain user populations,
the mass of digitized texts is overwhelming. A library like Harvard
assumes highly sophisticated users; when you combine Harvard and
Michigan and California together you get a library that few of us can
function in. I think the challenge for us now is to make that huge
collection usable by folks other than a few experts.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net