From my own POV, I'd like to see the library at Harvard, but any higher ed envrionment for that matter, get more into the business of "student life".  But also make general access to specialized things easy, friendly, etc.  Zero grade on-ramp to laser cutting can only be a good thing...

Jeff
Harvard Library Innovation Lab
From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Nate Hill [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 9:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Maker Spaces and Academic Libraries

Can anyone on the list help clarify for me why, in an academic setting,
this kind of equipment and facility isn't part of a laboratory in an
academic department?

Don't get me wrong I am *way* into access to tools, but I remember when I
went to art school that the building had a shop in it.  The shop had a
woodshop, welders, metal lathes, etc.  And it belonged there, not in the
library- because it supported what that department was all about.

Are makerspaces in academic libraries examples of libraries picking up
slack that academic departments should be dealing with?

I ask this with zero snark, I genuinely want to hear some thoughts on
this...

Nate

--
Nate Hill