From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Joseph Montibello [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 10:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Recommendations for a teaching OPAC?

Hi,

When you talk about the OPAC, do you want them to be working with a full
ILS or really just the front-end piece? If it's just the patron-facing
search, you could probably do worse than to install Blacklight.  It
probably doesn't really meet the "simple" criteria - there's a lot more to
it than I could talk about.  But getting it out of the box, turned on, and
searching against a few records is something that you and students could
probably manage. I've got a year of unix/ssh/command line experience and
with a bit of mucking about, googling, and asking for help I was able to
get a local (non-production) instance up and running, so it's definitely
easy enough.

By the way, this looks like an awesome survey class. The headaches it
would have saved me if someone had covered this stuff 10 years ago when I
was in school, instead of teaching me how to search DIALOG!

Joe Montibello, MLIS
Library Systems Manager
Dartmouth College Library
603.646.9394