On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Moynihan, Terry
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I can't understand why this would be an issue in a profession (librarian) that is very tiny compared to most. I also can't understand why it would be a problem when 50% of college graduates can't get any job let alone one in their field. The US and World economies stink, and more jobs have been lost than ever before in the history of the world. There are still 100's of millions of people without any job and a few job postings are an issue??
>
> Perhaps a step back to the reality of what's really important in life...

Thanks for this Terry. You expressed exactly the frustration that led
me to hack on jobs.code4lib.org in the first place. I know too many
people struggling to find work, and to find work they love.

As Dan Chudnov pointed out in his code4lib keynote this year, the
library/archive profession is in the midst of a pretty big
upheaval/transformation. So, the other goal of jobs.code4lib.org is to
help document the skills and jobs that are in demand, to help
educators teach their students relevant skills so that they can find
jobs. I also wanted it to assist life long learners who were
interested in refreshing their skillset. Ideas for improving the site
are welcome in the issue trackers Github [1].

//Ed

[1] https://github.com/code4lib/shortimer/issues