In my last Library tech report, I included a chapter on 3D printing
(chapter 4, please excuse the title, I had to) that spoke a bit to why
libraries needed to be in the space, which certainly overlaps with the
Makerspace convo:

http://alatechsource.metapress.com/content/rpl5883j3620/?p=5b1da8d73bec46918808d4fb69a73abe&pi=2

Full text is available there...the whole work is CC licensed, so feel
free to grab a copy. :-)

Jason