1-Click doesn't really have anything to do with Summon. But it has to do
with the link resolver. The thing about Summon (as opposed to other tools
sometimes used as a "starting point" for users) is that it does not locally
provide any access to full-text.

When we first implemented Summon back in early 2010, it *always* sent users
through the link resolver for access to any full-text. The first thing we
noticed was just how many problems there still were with link resolution,
especially when harvesting metadata from publishers instead of directly fro
the other database providers being linked to (a lot of that has now been
improved, but problems do remain). Simultaneously, we found that users
familiar with databases like Academic Search Premier were used to getting
full-text with one click; they were thrown off when they landed on a link
resolver service window after clicking on a citation.

There are a couple of things that improve this user experience. For
starters, we bit the bullet and turned on 360 Link's "1-click" tool which
forwards users directly through to article content whenever possible,
bypassing the link resolver service window. Simultaneously, Serials
Solutions / Summon has also begun to work with what they call "index
enhanced direct linking" in lieu of OpenURL linking to do a better job of
sending users directly through to content without passing through the link
resolver.

With the 1-Click in place, users only see our 360 Link service window if
there's no index-enhanced direct link and 360 Link doesn't know how to link
down to the article level for a database (or we don't have access to the
content). So it's a lot less frequent. Users and staff are both happy about
this change.

If you are thinking of using Summon with a different link resolver, you'd
have to see if they provide a similar pass-through type service. I *think*
that SFX does.

-emily

--
Emily Lynema