I was going to comment that some of the Encore shortcomings mentioned in
the PDf do seem to be addressed in current Encore versions, although some
of these issues have to be addressed - for instance, there is a
spell-check, but it can give some surprising suggestions, though
suggestions do clue the user in to the fact that they might have a
misspelling/typo.

III's reaction to studies that report that users ignore the right-side
panel of search options was to provide a skin that has only two columns -
the facets on the left, and the search results on the middle-to-right.
This pushes important facets like the tag cloud very far down the page, and
causes a lot of scrolling, so I don't like this skin much.

I recently asked a question on the encore users' list about how the tag
cloud could be improved - currently it suggests the most common subfield a
of the subject headings.  I would think it should include the general,
chronological, geographical subdivisions - subfields x,y,z.  For instance,
it doesn't provide good suggestions for improving the search "civil war"
without these. A chronological subdivision would help a lot there.  But
then again, I haven't seen a prototype of how many relevant subdivisions
this would result in - would the subdivisions drown out the main headings
in the tag cloud?

Cindy Harper, Systems Librarian
Colgate University Libraries
315-228-7363