On 2012-09-20 14:39, Karen Coyle wrote:
> What is the net result of the fact that users don't go generally
> beyond screen 2? (In the U of Calif catalog, it meant that no one
> looked beyond items  with a author whose name sorted in the A's.)

Umm... (even more) crappy scholarship?

- mt

Marc Truitt
University Librarian,               voice  : 506-364-2567
Mount Allison University            e-mail : [log in to unmask]
Libraries and Archives              fax    :
49 York Street                      cell   : 506-232-0503
Sackville, NB  E4L 1C6

"There is a grave inconsistency between the requirements for academic
excellence and professional achievement and the student-pleasing
priorities of the youth-centred realities of our time.  It remains to
be seen what gives first:  the standards and requirements of the
academy or the expectations and demands of young people."
                                   - Ken Coates and Bill Morrison, 2011

Marc Truitt
Associate University Librarian,
Bibliographic and Information       Voice  : 780-492-4770
    Technology Services             e-mail : [log in to unmask]
University of Alberta Libraries     fax    : 780-492-9243
Cameron Library                     cell   : 780-217-0356
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2J8

But all the towns and people seem to fade into a bad dream
And the steel rails still ain't heard the news
The conductor sings his songs again,
The passengers will please refrain
This train's got the disappearing railroad blues.
                                   -- Steve Goodman, 1970

Marc Truitt
University Librarian,               voice  : 506-364-2567
Mount Allison University            e-mail : [log in to unmask]
Libraries and Archives              fax    :
49 York Street                      cell   : 506-232-0503
Sackville, NB  E4L 1C6

"Well, I left my happy home to see what I could find out
I left my folk and friends with the aim to clear my mind out
Well, I hit the rowdy road and many kinds I met there
Many stories told me of the way to get there..."
                                    -- Cat Stevens (1970)