Jonathan, I, too, like the use of facets. I wish we could do something a
bit more "zing" with them, like present them as word clouds or something
a bit more appealing than "term (number)" but I think the basic data is
there.

Facets, as we use them, though, function as set *narrowing* tools.
That's very useful when you have a large set, but I'd like to see
another function that leads users to nearby areas -- this obviously
invokes the idea of topic maps. although I have to admit that topic maps
don't always seem very provocative. There's probably some way that we
could do them better.

I do think that both facets and topic maps may work better using
FAST-type headings rather than full LCSH pre-coordinated subject
headings. That FAST is derived from LCSH (rather than being developed
specifically as a faceted classification) probably makes it something of
an under-performer, but the related subjects that appear on the Open
Library subject pages give a clue as to how something like this might
work. I'd love to see more experimentation in this direction.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net