On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Cindy Harper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I was going to comment that some of the Encore shortcomings mentioned in
> the PDf do seem to be addressed in current Encore versions, although some
> of these issues have to be addressed - for instance, there is a
> spell-check, but it can give some surprising suggestions, though
> suggestions do clue the user in to the fact that they might have a
> misspelling/typo.

I wrote about the woeful state of "spelling suggestions" a couple of
years ago (among a lot of other things):

http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2009/were-gonna-geek-this-mother-out/

(you can skip on down to the "In the Absence of Suggestion, There is
Always Search…" - it's pretty TL;DR-worthy)

Basically, the crux of it is, as long as spelling suggestions are
based on standard dictionaries and not built /on the actual terms and
phrases in the collection/ it's going to basically be a worthless
feature.

I do note there, though, that BiblioCommons apparently must build
their dictionaries on the metadata in the system.

-Ross.