I have never run across a SRW service, or if I have, it was so long ago I can't remember.

Of course, I haven't run across all that many SRU services, either… but I cannot think of a good reason *not* to omit SOAP from SRU 2.0.  Basically, providing a SOAP interface is like saying "please don't use this service".

-Ross.