Hi,

Some comments on the wiki content:

I would add Normalization to the set of preservation strategies. Many
organizations are implementing a policy of specifying a small number of
formats that they will accept and provide preservation services for, In
order to fully enforce this policy they may have to implement
normalization services - this is really a flavor of migration in that they
migrate a variety of formats for a specific content type to a normalized
format. For example they may receive a variety of image formats (jpg, gif,
tiff, bmp etc) and migrate them all to a common form  (e.g. png) This
strategy is normally applied during ingest, with the option to also retain
the original.

I would remove the comment about Lockheed Martin and the ERA project.
Lockheed Martin is no longer the prime contractor and preservation
capabilities were not implemented during their tenure.
However it is generally accepted that neither migration or emulation on
their own will provide a comprehensive preservation solution for all
content types.

Another thought on migration - In many cases a migration is a 1-1 process
. i.e 1 file in and 1 file out. However there are existing cases where the
number of resulting digital objects that are created as a result of a
migration activity may be different from the original set.. For example
consider the case where a web page (multiple files, html, images etc)  are
migrated to a PDF file. This means that we really should be focused on
preserving the "informational" content rather than the digital
representation. i,e. the digital files are simply a representation of the
informational content,

Hope you find this input useful.

Regards
Mark

Mark Evans
Digital Archiving Practice Manager
Tessella
51 Monroe Street, Suite 702, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
T: (1) 240 403-7502     C: (1) 240 401 6256    F: (1) 240 403-7507
E: [log in to unmask]
W: www.digital-preservation.com

This message is commercial in confidence and may be privileged. It is
intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this message by anyone else
is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please inform the sender immediately. Please note that messages
sent or received by the Tessella e-mail system may be monitored and stored
in an information retrieval system.
Please consider the environment and do not print this e-mail unless you
really need to.

Dina Sokolova <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The NDSA Standards working group list
09/18/2012 01:57 PM
Please respond to
The NDSA Standards working group list

cc

Subject
[NDSA-STANDARDS] Status report on Digital Preservation Wikipedia article

Hello All,

We have been continuing our work on Wikipedia Digital Preservation
article and would like to update you with the recent changes we made
to it:

    - We've replaced introductory paragraphs with Definition
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Digital_preservation&pe=1&#Digital_preservation
) and "Challenges of digital
preservation"
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Digital_preservation&pe=1&#Challenges_of_digital_preservation
)

    - We've edited down the OAIS paragraph of "Digital preservation
standards" section because it duplicated the referenced Wikipedia OAIS
article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Digital_preservation&pe=1&#Digital_preservation_standards

    - We've edited the related OAIS article, correcting the text of
"The reference model" and "Requirements of the system" sections and
updating citations and references:
http://en.wikipedia.org//w/index.php?title=Open_Archival_Information_System&pe=1&#The_reference_model

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Stephen & Dina

--
Dina Sokolova