On a vaguely related note:  I was talking to some people at the ABBYY booth
in the exhibit hall for  KMWorld/Enterprise Search Summit/Taxonomy
Bootcamp, and asked whether the Linux version of their software was not
going to be updated.  Apparently it will be skipping a major, and will be
syncing with the windows server version some time in Q1/2013.

I think enough people hated having to keep a windows server in the loop
(i.e. everybody not running sharepoint) that it was worth the effort.

Since their SDK provides the OCR engine for a lot of other products, this
may have ripple on effects for other products.

Simon