There's fairly well established data on that iOS devices, despite
smaller market share, have much higher shares of mobile web usage. A
google search for "ios web traffic versus android" reveals a lot of
results in that same 60-70% range you're seeing.

The why is probably a wide mix of factors, but three guesses come to
mind immediately:
* android phones, especially low-end ones which make a substantial
chunk of the market, are going to customers with no or very small data
plans
* part of that wide market for android involves people who aren't very
interested in doing mobile web browsing
* the market share of iOS of students at college libraries is possibly
higher than in the general market.

--James Stuart