Wanted: Librarian and Archivist Intern for Author's Collection

Author and journalist Robert K. Elder ("Last Words of the Executed," "The Film
That Changed My Life") is looking for someone to help archive and catalog his
manuscripts, photos, art work and personal papers, which have been acquired by
Indiana University's Lilly Library.

Details about me:

While in college, I worked with author Ken Kesey ("One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
Nest"), archiving his papers and doing research, and I'd like to provide a
similar opportunity to a student.

I'm an author and the managing editor at DNAinfo Chicago, and alum of the
Chicago Tribune. I specialize in capital punishment work, as well as lighter
pop culture concerns, such as movies and comic books. You can see my work
here: www.robelder.com. Currently, I am finishing another volume on movie
directors and starting a new research project.

I'm working with students to help process my collection, as it's shipped to
the Lilly Library in Bloomington, Indiana. Upcoming projects will include
cataloging a comic book collection, and arranging, describing and digitizing
photographs.

I am currently hiring for winter 2012, spring 2013, summer 2013, fall 2013 and
winter 2013. Deadline: October 15

Applicants must be reliable and have superb organizational skills. Experience
digitizing and scanning materials a plus, though not necessary. Much of the
work will be done in Oak Park and you will work with a special collections
archivist. The time commitment is estimated at eight hours a week and can be
worked around a student's schedule. This is a 16-week position, with some
flexibility.

Although not a paid position, students will gain insight into the processes of
archiving, library special collections, digitization and the publishing
business. Most importantly, interns will receive real-world experience and a
vital resume builder. If obligations are met, the student will receive a
letter of recommendation and, where permitted, course credit.

Send a resume and cover letter, plus any supporting materials to
robertkelder(at)gmail.com.

Source: Thanks to Robert E. for the information!

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3754/