On Oct 17, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Nate Hill wrote:

> Maybe someone can offer me a suggestion here...
> I bought a nifty new gadget that records data and spits out csv files as
> email attachments.
> I want to go from csv > MySQL and build a web application to do cool stuff
> with the data.
> The thing is, the device can only email the files as attachments, it
> doesn't give me the ability to upload them to a server.
> Can anyone suggest how I can securely email a file directly to a folder on
> a server?
>
> The scenario is nearly identical to what is described here:
> http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-upload-to-an-FTP-site-via-email

It depends if you're hosting the mail server or not.  If you are,
and it's a unix box, you change your .forward file to pipe into
a program to do the processing, eg:

	|/path/to/program

If you're already using procmail for local mail delivery, you
can do more complex things with a .procmailrc file.  (eg, only
pass along to the processing program messages that match
certain characteristics):

	http://www.procmail.org/

If you're not hosting your own mail server, you might be able
to cobble something together with fetchmail, which retrieves
mail from IMAP or *POP* services and then processes it for
local delivery:

	http://www.fetchmail.info/

-Joe