Hi 4libers,

Does anyone know of something - a kiosk, an iPad app, a web application
- that:

- Initiates an oral history interview by getting demographic info and
permission to use and stream for scholarly purposes.
- Goes through a standard set of questions (in our case stuff about the
Appalachian State experience)
- Stores the metadata, permissions release, and pointers to the audio
files created for each question in a dbase record
- Processes the audio through speech recognition either in real time or
post-interview, and populates the dbase record with rendered text (at
whatever level of accuracy)
- Provide a search interface, where the meatadata, demographic info
(within reasonable privacy limits), and the transcript (however garbled)
is searchable.
- Crowd source the improvement of the transcriptions over time
- Package the interface as an app, and set up a machine image on Amazon
EC2, such that when someone uses the image and points a browser to it,
it goes through a set up routine so that smaller schools and historical
societies can set up their own sites in the cloud.  I haven't tried
streaming on a free tier EC2 server, but you get 30 GB of storage, so
you could get a fair number of hours of audio (depending on the
settings) before you have to start paying.

?

Anyone interested in trying it with me if there's nothing already out
there?  I'm leaning toward iPad, so we'd need iOS, server admin, dbase,
and media expertise.  I have newbie-but-getting-better skill in the last
3.  Zero skill in iOS.

Paul

*Paul Orkiszewski*
Coordinator of Library Technology Services / Associate Professor
University Library
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
P.O. Box 32026