Right, thanks, but you're missing my point/question.

A significant portion of all of our libraries use these days is by
patrons that are off-campus and will not be IP-authenticated (Unless you
have all patrons use a VPN or something before using library services?)

Those off-campus patrons at Dartmouth, do they just always get the
limited results available to non-auth end-users, or do you encourage
them to login (and if so, any idea how many do?)