We were recently chosen to be a library pilot for the program. We're at the stage that our maps are somewhere in Google's process queue and we're waiting for them to come do a walkthrough for the walking directions.

So far I've seen two cons:

One, it takes a good while for the maps to be approved. I actually uploaded ours at the end of last year before they approached us about being a pilot library but I re-uploaded them once we started that process. The re-upload was in August and they're still pending. The site used to upload the maps to takes some getting used to but once you do one or two it's pretty easy.

Second, it only works on Android. I'm personally all Android but this is a huge downside for the program. Our contact tells me there is an iOS version in the works but with Google Maps being replaced by Apple in iOS6 it won't be out for a while.

From what I understand the indoor mapping relies mostly on wifi triangulation but does also use GPS to some extent. The walking directions are optional (we have opted for it) and to produce them a team from Google will survey your building to get statistics for your wifi access point locations and I think (although I'm not positive) pictures. I don't think it's Street View quality as that has not been mentioned at all; however I've seen that Google recently developed backpack version of their Street View equipment for use in a project to map the Grand Canyon [1] so indoors can't be far behind. There is also an Android app called Google Maps Floor Plan Marker you can use to do your own walking survey [2].

[1] http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/trekking-grand-canyon-for-google-maps.html
[2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.insight.surveyor&hl=en

Joel Marchesoni
Web Developer
Hunter Library @ Western Carolina University

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Al Matthews
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 16:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Google Indoor Mapping

Hello list.

I hope this finds you well and, dry, and with some power.

I'm recently aware of the existence of Google Indoor Mapping which, obviously enough, brings indoor locations (to Google Maps versioned 6.x and higher).

The project also offers indoor walking directions. I assume this works via a combination of fine-grained GPS and, some sort of integration with internal wireless.

Since a number of you will have had experience with this service, I am soliciting in open forum a discussion of pros, cons, and concerns.

Thank you.

Al Matthews, Software Dev,
Atlanta University Center
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** IronMail scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **