From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Owen Stephens
Sent: 16 October 2012 23:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Q.: software for vendor title list processing

I'm working on the JISC KB+ project that Tom mentioned.

As part of the project we've been collating journal title lists from various sources. We've been working with members of the KBART steering group and have used KBART where possible, although we've been collecting data not covered by KBART.

All the data we have at this level is published under a CC0 licence at http://www.kbplus.ac.uk/kbplus/publicExport - including a csv that uses the KBART data elements. The focus so far has been on packages negotiated by JISC in the UK - although in many cases the title lists may be the same as are made available in other markets. We also include what we call 'Master lists' which are an attempt to capture the complete list of titles and coverage offered by a content provider. We'd very much welcome any feedback on these exports, and of course be interested to know if anyone makes use of them.

So far a lot of the work on collating/coverting/standardising the data has been done by hand - which is clearly not ideal. In the next phase of the project the KB+ project is going to work with the GoKB project http://gokb.org - as part of this collaboration we are currently working on ways of streamlining the data processing from publisher files or other sources, to standardised data. While we are still working on how this is going to be implemented, we are currently investigating the possibility of using Google/Open Refine to capture and re-run sets of rules across data sets from specific sources. We should be making progress on this in the next couple of months.

Hope that's helpful

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting