On Oct 18, 2012, at 6:08 PM, Brian McBride wrote:

> Greeting!
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there has found or knows of a good open source solution for event scheduling? We would need users to be able to register, allow instructors to set enrollment caps, and basic email reminder functions. Any information would be great!

I know there have been a lot of suggestions already, but I'd have to ask what the scope of the system is.

Most of the ones that I know if are for conferences; you effectively need to stand up a new instance of the software for each event.  Some are designed for hosting purposes (eg, the perl ACT software), and may have features like using a single registrant table, so that you don't have to set up a new login for each conference.  (in the case of ACT, it also allows you to see what other conferences someone's attended ... but there's a separate 'user page' for each conference which shows which sessions they're planning to attend, so it's most likely not 100% what you'd want)

For a library system, particularly an academic one, I'd assume that this isn't for a single event, but for lots of events (eg, there's a 'intro to (excel) class on the (first tuesday) of the month', but the instructors may change).

If this is what you're looking for, it might be easier to look into class or room scheduling software for schools, and add whatever additional functionality you might need.

... and conveniently, when searching for 'open source room scheduling software', a code4lib journal article popped up:

	http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2941

You also get quite a few hits for 'open source classroom scheduling software', which may have more of the features you're looking for (eg, managing the individual class registrations vs. just managing the room allocation)

... but of course, search engine hits don't actually mean they're necessarily good, just that the exist, so it's probably worth explaining what you're looking for, so that the other folks on the mailing list can give recommendations.

-Joe