On Oct 24, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> On 10/24/2012 2:04 PM, Ben Florin wrote:
>> We use Primo, but we've never bothered with their restricted search scopes.
>
> Apparently the answer to my question is that nobody has thought about this before, heh.
>
> Primo, by default, will suppress some content from end-users unless they are authenticated, no?  Maybe that's what "restricted search scopes" are? I'm not talking about your locally indexed content, but about the "PrimoCentral" index of scholarly articles.
>
> At least I know the Primo API requires you to tell it if end-users are authenticated or not, and suppresses some results if they are not. I assume Primo 'default' interface must have the same restrictions?
>
> Perhaps the answer to my question is that at most discovery customers, off-campus users always get the 'restricted' search results, have no real way to authenticate, and nobody's noticed yet!

Do they even get a message that they've been restricted?

I would think that having a message such as :

	74 records not shown because you weren't authenticated

would be enough to spur most folks to log in.

What I hate is when you do a search for something that you *know* should be there, and it's not ... then you find out that they're using IP range or DNS matching, and not telling the user that they've intentionally hid stuff.  I think I've gotten most of the stuff straightened out with our local library, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

(my desktop machine's doesn't resolve in the 'gsfc.nasa.gov' domain, and not on the most common network here ... so most systems' test for 'is this a local person' fail, and I get treated as an outsider ... I actually get better service using my personal laptop on the wireless network for visitors)

-Joe