> But I think my conclusion is that few implementers have thought about
> this, and most off-campus users probably don't get restricted content.
> :) Which may be just fine -- the amount of restricted content in a given
> product is also unclear (hard to compare between products, hard to even
> know for a single product if there's importnat 'restricted content'
> that's being missed).

Re: Summon--there are very few databases where display of search results is restricted to IP-authenticated users only. According to Serials Solutions' documentation, the full list is:

Science Citation Index Expanded
Web of Science
A+ Education
A+ Education (Selective Full Text)
AGIS Plus Text
AGIS Plus Text (Selective Full Text)
Australian Public Affairs Full Text
Australian Public Affairs Full Text (Selective Full Text)
TVNews
JAIRO: Japanese Institutional Repositories Online (English)
JAIRO: Japanese Institutional Repositories Online (Japanese)

There is a configuration option (which can be deactivated) to display a banner to unauthenticated off-campus users. When they click the banner and authenticate, then they're able to see restricted results as well as access full-text resources.

For us, the only resource in the above list that we actually subscribe to is Web of Science. While we were ironing out authentication issues during our Summon implementation, we found some weird behavior with logging in via the authentication banner and then accessing any of the resources that use "direct links" for the full text. Serials Solutions couldn't figure out the problem, so in the end we decided that disabling the banner (thus hiding WoS results from off-campus users) was an acceptable tradeoff for a better overall experience. We don't tell off-campus users that they're not seeing WoS results, and it's never been an issue, as far as I know.

Jason