Good to have some numbers, thanks!  Even taking your largest number, 25% + 12% == 37% coming from on-campus is definitely less than half, and not 'most' use being from on-campus -- which does not surprise me at all, it's what I would expect.

This is an interesting discussion, I think. Thanks all. (Except for Ross and that other guy having a flamewar about things entirely unrelated to the topic! Just kidding, we love you Ross and that other guy. But yeah, unrelated to the topic.)
From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of David Friggens [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Q: "Discovery" products and authentication (esp Summon)

>> a) most queries come from on-campus
> Really? Are people just assuming this, or do they actually have data? That
> would surprise me for most contemporary american places of higher education.

For the last two months, 25.4% of our Summon traffic has come from the
IP addresses we've given as "on campus", according to the stats
Serials Solutions provides. Note that another 11.8% came from the
local ISP that provides wireless for our students, so most of that
would be "on campus" at other institutions.

> But it may very well be the extra "restricted" content is not important and
> nobody minds it's absence. (Which would make one wonder why the vendor
> bothers to spend resources putting it in there!).

That's been our view (though you're making me think we should perhaps
try and understand better what the difference is).

The A&I results are interesting. EDS seems to promote results from
their own A&I databases more highly than I would expect, and they're
certainly noticeable when blanked out with "cannot be displayed to
guests".

When Summon started showing A&I results there was some interesting
discussion on the mailing list - they're not immediately accessible,
so they're arguably not "in the library's collection". And Summon (as
does Primo) has an option to "add results beyond your library's
collection". There was some argument on the other side, that A&I
results are important to be included, so it seems that there is
librarian pressure as well as commercial/licence pressure.

David