I haven't tried Guide on the Side, but looking over the requirements (and source: https://github.com/ualibraries/Guide-on-the-Side) there's nothing about it that I can see that wouldn't run on my cheap, shared Dreamhost account (or the Site5 account I used for a project a few years ago).

It seems like a pretty good application for trying on shared hosting, honestly.

Webfaction is only $5.50/mo. and has a 60-day money back guarantee -- there are probably others with free month trials, etc. --  so that would probably be the way to go, if you want to try it out.

-Ross.