PS - there is also a paper on oral traditions in FRBR...

archivesic.ccsd.cnrs.fr/docs/00/06/26/91/PDF/sic_00001629.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hopwood
Sent: 25 October 2012 14:44
To: 'Jacobs, Jane W'; 'Priscilla Caplan'
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [CODE4LIB] Oral History Metadata Best Practices

Hello Jane, Priscilla,

I would recommend looking at www.lido-schema.org as more interoperable, extensible and generally longer-term value-adding schema for collection of a lot of historical / heritage data.

It has the same capabilities and easy entry level (only three mandatory sections; object/work type - title/name - record details) as Dublin Core to collate a lot of data, potentially from different source, but it also has the optional depth and breadth required for enriching data with links, and the specific semantics used precisely by archives and historians, rather than libraries.

Data created / collected in LIDO will have greater reuse potential than less contextual schemas.

It's based on the ISO standard CIDOC-CRM (see http://www.cidoc-crm.org/uses_applications.html) which is itself the result of painstaking work by historical and archives data people.

The CIDOC-CRM itself is probably worth looking at too, maybe in terms of "CRM CORE" (a lightweight model using just key parts) and the many real life applications in archive contexts...

Disclaimer: I work (as a librarian!) on one part of www.linkedheritage.eu which does have some of the world LIDO experts as partners.

Best,

Michael Hopwood