With reference to...

>>> I realize that different manifestations of the same work will have different ISBNs, so we'd be seeking any work in print format, ideally the most commonly held.

...have you had a look at ISTC?

http://www.istc-international.org/html/

If you register the "works" (there's a format for that: http://www.editeur.org/106/ONIX-ISTC-Registration-Format/) you can collate the titles by content rather than by manifestation/product ID while linking to the various ISBNs of available versions...