Hi Library-Coders,

My colleagues and I are researching best practices in recording metadata for Oral Histories for an article tentatively accepted for publication.  We're looking for input from practicing librarians, archivists, and historians.  In particular we'd like to know what encodings (e.g. MARC, EAD, METS, etc.) people are using and how happy (or unhappy) they are with them.  Also what fields are people using to enter their data? Any data-dictionaries or templates showing required, repeatable, non-repeatable fields would be welcome.

So far we've discovered that with new digital technologies allowing much easier collection and retransmission of oral histories, creation is booming; standards not so much.

We would appreciate input from anyone who is willing to share their procedures.  As mentioned above, we are planning to publish an article, but we will, of course, ask permission, before quoting anyone directly.  Off-list responses are welcome.

Please excuse duplication (cross-posting) and forward to interested colleagues.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JJ

**Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of the Queens Library.**

Jane Jacobs
Asst. Coord., Catalog Division
Queens Borough Public Library
89-11 Merrick Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11432
tel.: (718) 990-0804
e-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
FAX. (718) 990-8566

Connect with Queens Library:

*  QueensLibrary.org
    http://www.queenslibrary.org/

 *  Facebook
     http://www.facebook.com/queenslibrarynyc

 *  Twitter
     http://www.twitter.com/queenslibrary

 *  LinkedIn
     http://www.linkedin.com/company/queens-library

 *  Google+
     https://plus.google.com/u/0/116278397527253207785

 *  Foursquare
     https://foursquare.com/queenslibrary

 *  YouTube
     http://www.youtube.com/queenslibrary

 *  Flickr
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/qbpllid/

 *  Goodreads
     http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/58240.Queens_Library

The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately