Um...how is this better/different from already existing sites/efforts
around this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_formats
http://www.wotsit.org/
http://www.ace.net.nz/tech/TechFileFormat.html
http://www.fileformat.info/

At the very least, this new effort shouldn't start from scratch...
Roy