On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 03:43:12PM -0500, Peter Schlumpf wrote:
> Kernighan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language."  A keeper for life, and surprisingly readable and directed to the newbie.  Also "The Pragmatic Programmer" by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas.

I recall listening to a talk by the late Ritchie when someone asked him a similar
question to this thread. His answer was simple. The only way to learn
how to program is to program.

I have two dog eared copies of this book and I use it to judge all
computer programming books.

--
It looks like blind screaming hedonism won out.