I also think it is a good idea to reserve a certain number/percentage of
speaking slots to first-time presenters. I also want to bring up (again)
the issue of presenters presenting more than once. We are looking at a
conference with 400 attendees -- 400! How can we justify having anyone on
the podium more than once? I mean, seriously?

I think we need to realize that we have grown to the point that we need
more management than we have in the past. Remember that we also still have
open-ended slots for lightning talks and breakouts. It isn't like I'm
calling for the kind of strictness that ALA imposes.
Roy