Getting traction for mentoring online is always difficult, but what
about starting that mentorship at code4libcon?

Maybe almost like a buddy system, so that the first meeting between a
mentor and mentee is at a code4libcon (national, regional, or
otherwise) if possible.

This might simply be a good idea for first timers who are not going
with colleagues too.

Just throwing out some ideas here...