Well, this is the fundamental problem, innit?

I have little doubt that a fully curated program would be more
interesting to more attendees than the current system. It would also,
presumably, be more diverse. The problems are:

a) The program committee would need to fairly vet all the proposals,
and recruit presenters to offer subjects that are desired, but aren't
proposed. This would be a non-trivial bit of work.

b) Program committee members would need a good supply of sling and
arrow repellant and an exceedingly thick skin.

Thanks,

Cary

--
Cary Gordon