> I would disagree that sysadmin/network admin  types are considered less
> geeky, it's just that coders and sysadmins speak completely different
> languages, tend not to trust each other, and are generally working against
> one another (since they have different goals).

Trying to figure this stuff out is like trying to determine whose cleric is
better than whose wizard. Any coolness or status that we perceive is only
among ourselves. Everyone else sees us socially as nerds and professionally
as minions who to support others. Library technologists are infrastructure
and like other infrastructure, they'll be ignored if they do their jobs
well and reamed if they make a mistake. Who here thinks about the people
who design sewers or concrete?

You don't need to be able to write a line of code to help design a great
program. Nor do you need to know any technology to be a hacker. Systems
analysis, hacking, and coding are ways of thinking and do not refer to any
specific skillset. If the community is to grow, this word needs to get out.

kyle