We run a Wordpress multisite setup here at MPOW, and have two
different blogs that we use for this type of purpose: an "Alerts" blog
for in-house alert needs, and a "News" blog for public-facing
announcements. We just use the RSS feed to push the alerts where
needed, and there's certainly no shortage of RSS collection/parsing
libraries. I'm partial to Magpie (http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/)
but only because I've had years of using it.

We even recently moved to using Growl for Windows with an RSS plugin
to do "heads up" alerts on staff/faculty PCs, so that when something
is posted to the Alerts blog, all staff machines get an
impossible-to-ignore alert overlay on their screens. We will likely be
doing a similar thing for "Emergency" use and the public machines.

Jason