We aren't right now...all posts just go where they go. But it's
trivial to break out a category-specific RSS feed in Wordpress, so
that would be easily done.

We typically update the notice instead of taking it down. Good blog
form, and all that. For most "alert" items (Database down, etc) the
display just shows the last 3-5 items, and so stuff rolls off quickly.
If not, the update generally takes care of it.

Jason